Bangalore, May 25, 2016: 25 of the 34 students from TAPAS program have scored above 90% in Karnataka 2nd PUC, the results of which were announced today. It has successfully stood up to the expectations with a remarkable achievement this year. The toppers from TAPAS program are Yashavantha C (97.17%), Praveen Gouda N Patil (97%), Sujith D Dixith (96.33%), Sudheer D G (95.33%), Avinash Kumar Mishra (95.17%)
‘TAPAS’, a free residential program initiated in 2012 by Rashtrotthana Parishat and BASE is a pioneering initiative in the field of education. It aims to train deserving students from economically challenged sections of the society such as children of daily wage earners, cobbler, auto driver, house maid etc for national level competitive examinations. This course is provided with free PU education and IIT entrance training.
Tapas selects around 30 – 40 bright students each year from economically weaker sections across Karnataka and offers them free PU education & IIT JEE training, free food & hostel accommodation. A selection test is conducted at all district headquarters and additional towns in Karnataka. Based on the performance and subsequent assessment, final selection of students is conducted. Many of these students are from Kannada medium till their class X. The selected students are admitted to the Pre University course at Rashtrotthana PU College in the city. Experienced teachers from Rashtrotthana PU College train them for the board exam and the IIT training is provided by BASE faculty
“Reaching the unreached and bringing them to main stream is key objective of TAPAS. This outstanding achievement of the young ‘Tapas’ achievers have paved a strong path for many other bright students from economically challenged sections of the society to dream of higher accomplishments. There are lots of students in the weaker sections of the society from rural areas who really deserve in their field of studies and are waiting for the right platform to create aspirations and achieve them.” said N Dinesh Hegde, General Secretary, Rashtrotthana Parishat
“As a leader in student training in Karnataka, BASE prepares students to take on various competitive exams. This is a unique initiative by Rashtrotthana and BASE to provide free training to the deserving students who have excelled well in their studies. We are delighted and proud to be a part of this exceptional program. We hope that these students will keep weaving such success stories and we will continue to make a difference with the dedicated efforts of our faculty. We are glad to take up this initiative and help economically weaker sections build their career”, said Dr H S Nagaraja, Founder Director of BASE.
Details on few toppers
– Native of Shimoga. His Father is a Tailor
– He stayed at this Grandparent’s house as the Parents couldn’t take care of him. He did his schooling staying at his Grandparent’s house.
– Having studied at Tapas for two years was the best experience of my life. We had excellent BASE teachers. All teachers had good experience. The way they taught the subject took my understanding of subject to another level and sparked my interest even in to the boring subjects. I will remember those 2 years at Tapas.
Praveen Gouda Patil
– Native of Koppala. His Father is a Farmer
– Studied in Navodaya School till 10th Std.
– BASE & Rashtrothanna taught us rigorous discipline and I put all my focus on it. Teachers were very supportive.
Avinash Kumar Mishra
– His family was originally from Bihar. His father is working as a labourer in Kaiga.
– Has struggled a lot due to sheer poverty.
– Worked very hard in the last 2 years with proper guidance from RVK and BASE teachers.